Thursday, February 25, 2010

Put up or shut up!

It just so f'in easy to stay in bed....especially when the snow is falling, wind is blowing and the warmth under the covers is..well..warm.

Aimee had been up for almost an hour on the treadmill before I dragged my sorry ass out of bed.

I needed to run.

I needed to run outside.

I needed to run outside in the cold crappy weather of Ohio.

I was having a hard time remembering when I last ran outside...except for last Friday with the sun shining. Or two weeks ago at the second winter trail race that I haven't written a race report for (damnit).

So back to this morning. I needed a HTFU moment. I needed to stare the beast in the face and get outside and run. I really haven't subjected myself to any difficult runs this winter. I was wussing out and either not running or using the treadmill.

So I dragged my tights and jacket and mittens and hat out for a morning snowy run.

The roads were covered with a light layer of slushy snow that made traction difficult but overall it wasn't bad.

I overdressed because I have lost my ability to properly gauge the layers of clothing. I got in eight good miles. Some of the running mojo came back and stoked the fire in my belly.

I don't know what I was being a wimp about.

As I entered my last mile heading home, I remembered a friend who has provided me with some inspiration during hard training days. I realized that her anniversary was one week ago. Having left us two years ago she found me again on a cold snowy morning on a familiar route.

I picked up the pace to remember her. To remember how it feels to push my body. To feel the heavy legs move me down the road. To listen to my breathing become labored as I sucked in the cold air around me.

To remember why I do this.......because I can.

That last mile is for you Halle.

Game On.


Activity
Route:--Elev. Avg:695 ft
Location:North Ridgeville, OH, Elev. Gain:-3 ft
Date:02/25/10Up/Downhill: [+124/-127]
Time:07:37 AMDifficulty:3.1 / 5.0

Weather:

28 F temp; 77% humidity

28 F heat index; winds NW 17 mph
Performance

Distance: 7.99 miles

Time:1:12:20
Speed:6.6 mph

Pace:9' 03 /mi

Calories:989

Splits
MilePace (min/mile)Speed (mph)Elevation
Gain
actual+/- avgactual+/- avg
19' 37+0' 346.2-0.4+3 ft
28' 52-0' 116.8+0.10 ft
38' 53-0' 106.8+0.1-6 ft
49' 10+0' 076.5-0.10 ft
59' 25+0' 226.4-0.30 ft
69' 11+0' 086.5-0.1+10 ft
79' 07+0' 046.6-0.1-3 ft
end8' 09-0' 547.3+0.7-7 ft
Versus average of 9' 03 min/mile

Posted from bimactive.com

3 comments:

Unknown said...

And THAT one made me cry.

Christi said...

Great run and I love that you were able to remember a friend and run for her!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Sounds like a great run and a wonderful tribute to a friend. Wow. I needed a HTFU push last night to get to the pool, and felt much better for it afterwards too. Kudos to you, and happy early birthday! :)