Saturday, April 03, 2010

Bank of Ironman

It's been a while since I felt that I have made any deposits in the Bank of Ironman. Putting in those big efforts only to be withdrawn on race day and used to reach the finish line.

I have been enjoying watching Aimee make those deposits. She continues to make more deposits and has one more week of build before entering taper. This weekend has been no different.

Aimee took Friday afternoon off and ran three hours so that she wouldn't be fried on Easter Sunday. However, Friday was a record setting day in Cleveland. It reached 83 degrees on a nice sunny day. Having run all winter in the cold and even March was cooler temperatures, this sudden rise in temperature was a shock to the system.

Aimee ran the first 1.5 hours on her own. I saw her returning while I was still heading out on my run. For her second 1.5 hours our friend Christi joined her. Aimee was thankful for having Christi there. The heat was taking it toll on Aimee and if not for Christi she would have succumbed to walking.

My run was just as troublesome since I'm pretty sure I started the run on the dehydrated side. I also had some people helping me finish in the form of Mark (I can do anything for 20 minutes) and Eric B (Push the Mind......) and Halle (watching from above) and Tina (breast cancer survivor).

Somehow we both finished. We might have looked like hell afterward, but these were big deposits.

We made sure to recover Friday night in order to be ready for our ride Saturday morning. My teammate Mike agreed to meet us for a couple of loops of the Rev3 Cedar Point course. I had a 6 hour ride on Aimee's schedule.

The weather for the day was calling for some wind. Something along the lines of 15MPH with gust to 35. Greeeeaaaaattttt. Couldn't wait for the wind.

The first loop was pretty uneventful. The nice thing was the temperature. It was warmer than the 30 degrees we started in the week before. So at least we could drink and eat easily without wearing gloves.

Aimee and Mike

The second loop the wind started to pickup. The second half of the loop brings us back to the start by riding south several times and that is where the wind was coming from.

Aimee enjoying her ride

We were either riding into the wind or leaning against the wind when we were heading east or west. Aimee was leaning into the wind. I was getting tossed around with my Flashpoint 60's and the deep rims.

We made it back to the parking lot to refuel and head out for a shortened lap three. Each lap the wind was getting stronger. I was watching the weather to the west and I didn't like what I was seeing. We were struggling to maintain control of the bikes and the clouds were getting darker.

After about 15 minutes I pulled the plug on the ride. I made the call to turn around and go back to the car. I didn't want to be caught in any bad weather. It was a gamble that I didn't want to take.

At the end of the ride I saw this sign blowing in the wind.

We got back to the car and managed to finish 80 miles in 5 hours. Considering the wind I was happy with the results. We still got a 30 minute run in after the ride.

One thing I will say about Aimee is that she didn't hesitate during the ride. She handled everything that was tossed at her. To start the third loop she never said a word and wash ready to go. Getting back to the car she changed her shoes and was ready to run.

The physical and mental training she has been through will get her to the finish line on May 1.

Aimee definitely has her......Game..On


Big Daddy Diesel said...

I feel we make the most deposits in the sporting world with everything we have to work on.

We had those winds down hear as well, I was out in, one time I looked down and read 12.9 MPH and I was in a PACELINE!!!

Christi said...

Great job to Aimee! We have been battling winds in Colorado also and they take a toll on you mentally.

DaisyDuc said...

Great job to both you and Aimee! Sounds like she is going to be good and ready to tackle her IM!

I can't wait to check out that Rev 3 course!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Love that you both train!! Seems like the wind has been whipping us all around -- had a white-knuckled ride yesterday, and was happy that I managed to stay upright! Great job to you both :)