Sunday, October 07, 2007

Trust

Amazing what you can learn, or think about, during a 3 hour bike ride.....with friends.

I had an opportunity to ride with Scott again. He should be entering taper for IM FLA soon.

Anyways, we rode yesterday. Chris joined us as well. I managed to map out a ride that would provide some variety from what Scott was used to.

So we have three strong cyclists clipping along at 20MPH average. On the return trip we were hitting speeds of 24MPH. We are flying. Tucked in on the aero bars wheel to wheel. I felt like a team time trial.

Then it dawned on me. I trusted these guys. 24MPH, six inches apart, hands nowhere near the brakes levers. I didn't even think about what we were doing. I wasn't worried, nervous or concerned.

We trusted each other. We trusted the lead person would get us around bad sections of road. We trusted that no one would get left behind. We trusted that the person up front wouldn't be slamming on his brakes for no reason.

I guess it's just unspoken. If the trust wasn't there you would be riding alone.

Regardless if you are the squad leader or a wingman, earning that trust is important and binds friends together.

I'm lucky to have found that type of trust. I think about where else I may experience that level of trust. In business it's very hard to find and earn that deep trust. I'm fortunate to work closely with some co-workers that I do trust...after 9 years I would hope so.

I wish more people would be able to find the trust I have found. It's precious and should be cherished.

Game On.