Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Two for Tuesday - Rest and Training

So what have I been doing for the past week. Training and working of course. Friday and Saturday were rest days. Friday is my normal rest day and with the Thursday spin sessions that Friday has become very important. The spin sessions have been a fantastic group atmosphere that helps me push the pace and get stronger.

Saturday was a rest day as well because I had to work. Nothing is quite as fun as sitting in a conference room staring at your laptop while there are blue skies and temperatures in the mid 50's. Oh well, you have to earn the bacon.

I made up for it with a second twosome on Sunday. I wanted to do a brick (bike/run) but also needed a long run. So Aimee and I headed down to the basement for a trainer ride. I put in one hour on the bike before heading out for my run.

I wasn't sure how long I was going to run. I was looking for 1:30 to 1:45 run time. Distance didn't matter.....I wanted to put in the time. it was nice getting the bike in first because the temperature warmed up to the mid 40's when I started the run. I was able to wear shorts so I could show off my pasty white legs.

My trip through several neighborhoods went very well. I tried to increase my effort for the last three miles, the hard part of the run where I could feel the fatigue starting to set in my legs and my feet were starting to shred in my shoes. I kept thinking about the Go Zone article I mentioned last week.

When all was said and done I completed 12.4 miles in 1:40. Average pace was 7:54/mile. I did manage the last three miles at 7:40/mile pace so I was happy with that. Overall I had a 2:40 workout.

So two days rest, one training day covering two disciplines.

Game On.

No comments: