Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Pleural Effusion

You are probably thinking WTF is he talking about?!?!?!? What type of post is this?

It's a medical post.

First we must go back three weeks when I rode outside with two buddies. It was a nice warm early spring day. I must have caught the bug then. My head got all stuffed up. That when I started taking that damn Sudafed laced with Red Bull.

Then the congestion started in my upper chest.

Time to visit the doctor on the 28th. Hmmm he said, doesn't sound the same as your visit in February. Perhaps it's more of an allergy thing. I was thinking the same thing because the sinus pressure was killer when this all started. Buuuuuuttttttt, I've never had allergy problems. I was willing to give it a shot. Singular was the drug of choice now.

One week later all of my cold symptoms were gone and the cough was fading as well. I was finally starting to get a good nights sleep. Then I woke up the morning of the 4th and didn't quite feel right.

My left side had some pressure and whenever I bent over I could feel what felt like fluid moving around. Even when I would lay down I could hear bubbles and gurgles in my chest. It was getting to be a major WTF!!!! feeling.

Aimee and I checked WebMD for symptoms and Googled different things. Aimee was looking at Pleurisy and I found Pleural Effusion. The Pleural Effusion best fit what I was feeling. I gave it the weekend to see if it would clear on it's own. Monday I called the Dr.

Trip #2 Monday morning and he said it sounds like pleural effusion. Best way to know for sure was to order some chest x-rays. so I went from his office to the diagnostics center. By 10AM Monday morning I had my x-rays done. The images were sent over to the Dr. and he said, yep there is some fluid around the chest, but not a lot to be concerned with. He would check it again on May 1 when I return for my annual physical.

I guess it's just good to know what it is. It had me a little freaked out on Sunday. And Aimee can tell ya.....I don't freak out easily.

If you look at the race listing for 2009 there is a date of April 5th for the Athens half marathon. Didn't happen. I pulled the plug on that after an evaluation run last Thursday. I knew there was no way it would be a good run. Aimee was also on anti-biotics and advised not to run. We bagged the weekend race and stayed home. We were only out one race entry because I missed the deadline for on-line registration. Who knew?

So there is my latest update. I'm hoping to get my training back on track. I have this little thing called the Triple T coming up on Memorial Day weekend. I have a lot of work to do in preparation.

Here's to hoping that my Game will get back On rather quickly.

I swam this morning. You know what? I think it feels better after the workout.

3 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Hope you get well soon.

Eric said...

Have Aimee drill a hole in your chest cavity to drain that fluid Eric. Problem solved.

Cyndi said...

I stopped by looking for a race report....sorry to hear it didn't happen! Hope you are both 100% soon, take it easy!