Thursday, July 28, 2011

6 Day Bike Rider

I was flipping channels on the cable box today and noticed an interesting movie title.


I was able to catch the last 30 minutes and was mildly amused by this 1934 movie.

Of course I needed to look up the movie and see what it was about. The Turner Classic Movies website provided a nice overview of the movie.

But then I also looked at the Wikipedia entry for Six-day Racing.

And also visited the website 6 Day Racing.

I knew velodrome racing was big in the late 1800's and early 1900's but I didn't know they had endurance events like this. Check it out. And this was before advanced sports medicine, fancy nutrition supplements and high tech bicycles.

Talk about Game On.

2 comments:

Michael said...

I had no idea there were 6 day races that were inside a track...that seems pretty crazy. I knew about the Cycle Across America which is pretty crazy.

I was just look at your race schedule and saw Huntington and Cedar Point, are you from around that area? I spent most of my high school and college years in Kentucky - Louisa...about 30 minutes from Ashland.

TriEric said...

Michael, I live in a western suburb of Cleveland, OH.