Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Broken

I guess it's bound to happen. When you want to be competitive and have set certain goals for yourself it's....just....bound to....happen.

Hopefully it's nothing serious. Maybe the muscles are just sore, tired or strained. The goal is to avoid a full blown injury like a tear, serious inflammation, stress fracture, sickness, blood. Oh please don't let there be blood.

Sometimes we just feel broken. I watched several friends become broken this past year. Jason is currently dealing with foot issues. Patty is recovering from hers. And I can't keep track of who is sick.

I feel broken today....because of yesterday.

Tuesday is typically a double workout day. Crossfit in the morning and run speed work in the evening.

Kate put us through a skill set and regular WOD.

The skill involved 5x3 Hang Power Clean to max. Description and video.

I was on my last set of three at max. I managed to pull two but not the third. I had terrible form on the second and quite possibly strained my right trapezius and index finger. Index finger? Don't ask me how but it hurts today.

The WOD consisted of:
21-15-9
Back Squat
Kettlebell Swing (55 lbs)

I took it easy on the squats and went with a lower weight than prior. Partly due to the number of repetitions and second the run workout I would have in the evening. Today my inner quads are sore.

I felt great after I was all done at Crossfit. I wouldn't feel the effects until later in the evening and morning.

My evening run workout was done on the treadmill due to some rainy crappy weather.

I preferred the treadmill since I had some goal times/pace to hit. I needed to complete 4 x 400m. I haven't told you about my current training goals so lets just say the pace was fast. Each interval needed to be complete around 1:20. I'll let you do the math to figure out overall pace and speed.

I knew it was going to be hard but I had to suck it up. This is the training plan I signed up for and Aimee had done the same workout in the morning.

Intervals 1 and 2 were good. I could feel a twinge in my right glute/quad so I kept things under control during the hard push. Interval 3 was a struggle but I kept it together. Interval 4.....definitely the hardest effort. I had to really focus on what I was doing to make sure several things didn't happen.....loose my legs and fall....get spit off the back of the treadmill......puke. Actually I didn't feel like puking until I completed the last interval and was sucking in as much air as possible next to the treadmill.

I'm not sure how much the evening workout contributed to my soreness this morning but I feel a little like the picture below.......broken.

Fortunately I will mend faster than the window. It's been like that for over a year.....two winters for sure. I'll fix it in the spring...right after race season.


Game On

1 comment:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Delay muscle soreness SUCKS!!

These battles we have in Dec, Jan, and Feb will make that finish line soooooo much sweeter later in the year.

Whats your race schedule?