Saturday, January 01, 2011

Polar Plunge

For the past 6 years I have started the new year the same way...with a quick dip in Lake Erie. The Polar Plunge has been a lot of fun over the years with many friends. Here is a quick recap of past plunges that I have done.

If there are no pictures click on the year to be taken to the post for that plunge.

2005 - Double Dipping. I did the CTC Polar Plunge on New Years Day then a second dip in March to help with the Tsunami relief efforts. This was before I started my Blog so here are some pics from that year.

We had about a dozen people this first year.



These pics are from the Tsunami plunge.



2006 - For some reason I don't have any pictures. Still looking.

2007 - The plunge was held at Edgewater Park on a mild winter day. No ice, cool water and warm air. It was also Jason's first plunge.

2008 - I had to miss this year because I was out of town for work.

2009 - Back at Huntington Beach where the sand was covered with a sheet of ice. I almost face planted running into the water.

2010 - This was the coldest plunge yet. The snow was blowing almost horizontally.

2011 - This year was a challenge. The beaches around Cleveland were already frozen by Christmas. I have never seen this happen in recent years. The plunge was moved to a smaller beach where Mark and Ken cleared an area for us to plunge into. We had to line up and jump in individually. The water was 33 degrees and the air was 50. It was still a great time had by all.

Mark clearing the ice

My first plunge....


I decided to plunge again with my teammates..Jason, Mike, Ken, me and new teammate Andrew.

This is also the first day on my Photo365 project. Even though I didn't take the pictures...thanks Aimee...I am counting them for the year.

3 comments:

Christi said...

Wow, that is crazy! I don't know if I could do a polar plunge but I did do a ski run in my bikini in February of last year. That was really cold!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

This year was warm, was it still fun?

Shawn said...

Holy Cow - I've always wanted to do this but always manage to talk myself out of it -- and I live near SF where the water temp is usually in the 50's. You've made me feel like such a wimp! :D

Good luck on your 365 project. I've started one about 4 times now Note I said 'started' *sigh*