Monday, May 19, 2008

Where did it go?

I'm talking about the weekend. It just flew by before I knew it and I didn't get a post up. So here is a recap of the weekend.

Saturday I had a 3 hour brick.....2.5 on the bike and 30 minutes on the run. The weather was a bit windy but otherwise clear. I kept the ride under control since I blasted myself the prior two weekends. Low to Middle Zone 2 (aerobic) on the bike as I struggled with the wind. The majority of the ride was around 18 - 19 MPH, but if I was even close to riding into the wind I saw speeds drop to 13-15. I just kept the HR steady and just wanted to get the time in on the bike. I needed to save some for Sunday. After 48 miles on the bike I did a quick 4 mile run. It's amazing how great I feel running off the bike lately. My muscles have truly retained the training and they fall into line when I run out of transition.

I ran 7:05's for the first two miles then backed it down to 7:30's on the way back. I needed to keep the heart rate down and not let it get out of zone.

The rest of the day was trying to cut the grass in between the rain and getting pictures of my daughter about to go to senior prom. She looked great with her boyfriend and they had alot of fun.

On Sunday I was a pacer for the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon. I helped with the second half of the 4 hour group. I had a lot of fun and it felt great helping people reach that sub 4:00 goal. It was very different running a 9 minute pace for 2 hours. My quads are a little sore. They feel like I just busted out a 17:30 5k. I even took a 1.5 hour nap after the marathon. The funny part is the my average HR for the run was 131. about 10 beats below the beginning of Zone 2. Yet my 1 minute recovery on the watch started at 159. The last 400 yards I was so jacked up, yelling at the crowd to cheer for the finishers that my HR must have gone up just because of that. Pacing is one aspect of volunteering that I absolutely love.

So today was a semi-rest day. We slept in and I got in a easy 1 hour spin in the evening. Legs felt good moving in circles instead of pounding pavement. The taper has started for the Bolder Boulder. Will try to stay healthy and get plenty of rest. I'll keep you posted as the rade gets near.

Game On.

1 comment:

triguyjt said...

you ran 2 hours...as a easy pacer...

I was nearly flaming out to get a 2:01.

you dah man.!!!!